Everything You Need to Know About Parental Alienation

Chloe BeeversFamily Law, Family Law, Site News, Site News, Site News

Everything You Need to Know About Parental Alienation - Morrish Solicitors

In an acrimonious divorce or separation, it is not uncommon for one parent to act or speak less favourably about the other parent in attempt to turn their children against them. This is known as ‘Parental Alienation’ and is now recognised by the Courts.

In this article our experienced Divorce and Family Law Solicitor, Noelle Heath explains everything you need to know about parental alienation.

What is Parental Alienation?

Although there is no legal definition of parental alienation it generally refers to when a child is resisting or refusing to spend time with one parent without justification and this stems from  psychological manipulation of the child by the other parent.

What are the Signs of Parental Alienation?

Over the years the Courts, Cafcass and family law professionals have recognised a range of behaviours which can be considered to be  parental alienation. If a parent is concerned  that their child may be affected  by  alienation, they should look out for their child displaying the following signs :

  • Expressing an unjustified negative opinion about one parent, which could also extend to the parent’s wider family.
  • Unreasonable reaction to a parent’s behaviour.
  • Having irrational reasons to account for disliking a parent.
  • Erasing positive memories of time spent with a parent.
  • Using mature language when explaining negativity toward a parent.
  • Lack of remorse for hurting a parent’s feelings.
  • Siding with the favoured parent despite anything they say or do.

If your child is showing signs of parental alienation contact our experienced Divorce and Family Law team for clear, honest, and professional advice. Call us on 033 3344 9600 or simply email [email protected].

What Can I Do to Prevent Parental Alienation?

Unfortunately, there is  nothing you can do to prevent parental alienation . However if you think your child has become alienated from you, you should try reducing the impact on you and your child.

Parental alienation can have a significant impact on yours and your child’s life.  The following steps could help minimise the impact it could have:

  • Try and maintain a positive and loving relationship with your child.
  • Manage your emotional reaction to the behaviour.
  • Try speaking with the other parent about the behaviours you have noticed.
  • Consider seeking advice from a Divorce and Family Law Solicitor.

What Should I do If I’m Being Alienated by The Other Parent?

You should keep a record of the other parent’s behaviour and consider seeking advice from a specialist divorce and family law solicitor.

How Can Morrish Solicitors Help?

Morrish Solicitors have a team of experienced divorce and family law solicitors who can assist on parental alienation cases. Our solicitors can offer clear, confidential, and professional advice on your situation. Contact us today on 033 3344 9600 or simply email [email protected] with your request.

Specialist Divorce & Family Law Solicitors

Morrish Solicitors is a long-established law firm based in West Yorkshire providing a comprehensive range of legal services both regionally and nationally. Our specialist team of divorce and family law solicitors understand the emotional and financial strain family matters can have on the whole family. That’s why we consider the needs of the entire family and provide clear, honest and professional legal advice with sympathy and compassion.

Our divorce and family law solicitors can advise you on any family/matrimonial matter including:

  • Divorce
  • Property and Financial Affairs
  • Disputes Concerning Children
  • Cohabitation Agreement
  • Adoption
  • Separation
  • Prenuptial Agreements
  • Civil Partnerships
  • Domestic Violence

As members of Resolution, our solicitors follow their Code of Practice and are committing to taking a sensitive, constructive, cost-effective approach, which is most likely to result in an agreement.

If you require our assistance, please call us on 033 3344 9600 or simply email [email protected] with your request.

To stay up to date with the latest law-related news, case studies and updates to our services please sign up to our newsletter.