Obstetrics and gynaecology comprises the care of the pregnant woman, her unborn child and the treatment of conditions of the female reproductive system. There is significant crossover between the two.
Some examples of gynaecological and obstetric compensation claims include:
- Damage to adjacent organs (i.e. bowel or bladder) during a hysterectomy procedure;
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment of endometriosis;
- Delay in diagnosis and treatment ectopic pregnancy;
- Treatment of prolapsed womb;
- Antenatal errors;
- Failure to appropriately manage shoulder dystocia during deliveryresulting in nerve damage (Erb’s palsy);
- Damage from medical instruments;
- Inadequate suturing following perennial trauma sustained during birth.
Some examples of our successful cases include:
- An award of £5.5 million for a young girl left with irreversible brain injuries after she was deprived of oxygen in the womb (To read the full press release for this case, click here).
- An award of £7,500.00 for the delay in diagnosis and treatment of an ectopic pregnancy leading to a rupture.
- An award of £115,000.00 for the bowel injury suffered during a negligent episiotomy repair following ventouse delivery. The Claimant underwent six surgeries to remove the sutures and required repair.
- An award of £10,000.00 for the ureteric injury suffered during a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy (TAH) necessitating further repair surgery.
- An award of £65,000.00 for extensive bladder and right ureteric injury suffered during a negligent colposuspension procedure to treat urinary stress incontinence.
We recognise that a gynaecological or obstetric injury is difficult to live with and talk about and needs to be handled with the utmost sensitivity. If you have suffered injury as a result of substandard gynaecological or obstetric treatment, please contact our experienced Medical Negligence team today on 033 3344 9600 or complete our online enquiry form below.