The annual statistics for employment tribunals and the EAT for April 2010 to March 2011 have been published.
The statistics show that the amount of claims issued in the Tribunal have reduced by 8% in comparison to the 2010 figures. However this still means a total of 218,100 claims were received.
The statistics also reveal that:
• the number of single claims received has fallen 15% over the period in question
• the number of unfair dismissal and redundancy claims has fallen slightly
• claims under the Part-time Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2000 have almost tripled
• age discrimination claims have risen 32%
• the median award of £12,697 for age discrimination claims is the highest of the discrimination strands, with all others around £5,000 and £6,000.
For further information, please contact our employment rights team on 0113 245 0733.