How to Get a Child Arrangement Order?

Morrish SolicitorsFamily Law, Family Law, Site News, Site News, Site News

How to Get a Child Arrangement Order | Morrish Solicitors

After getting a divorce/dissolution or separation from your partner it is important you make arrangements for your child or children. You will need to make decisions and come to an agreement with the other parent about where the child will live and how frequently they will spend time with the other parent.

There are occasions where parents cannot come to an agreement on arrangements for the child, which can often lead to disputes. If you are unable to agree with the other parent then, depending on your situation, you may need to attend mediation. If you still cannot agree arrangements after trying to in mediation then a Child Arrangement Order may be required from the Court to decide where the child will live and what contact they have with the other parent. In this article we explain how to get a child arrangement order.

What is a Child Arrangement Order?

Previously referred to as “custody”, “residence”, “access” or “contact”, a child arrangement order is a Court order in England and Wales, which outlines where the child will live, how they will be cared for and how often they will see the other parent following a divorce/dissolution or separation.

The purpose of this order is for the Court to assist disputing parents with making arrangements for their child. Before making a decision, the Court will consider best interests of the child including:

  • The child’s age
  • The child’s physical and emotional needs
  • The parent’s physical and mental health
  • The impact a change in circumstances may have on the child’s wellbeing

How to Get a Child Arrangement Order UK

If you’re unable to reach an agreement with the other parent on the child’s care then you must attend Mediation unless there are signs of domestic violence, abuse or the other parent is unwilling to attend Mediation.

The aim of Mediation is to help you resolve your differences or reach an agreement with the other parent. It can be a quicker and more cost-effective way of resolving a dispute and if successful can also give you more control over the decisions you make about your child.

However, sometimes Mediation isn’t always possible, and a Court Order may be the only way for some parents to come to a resolution. This way the court will decide who is the main carer of the child and how much access the other parent has.

It is recommended you speak to a specialist Divorce and Family Law Solicitor for support on getting a Child Arrangement Order. They will provide support and advice throughout the entire process, advising how the Court works, what may be the potential outcome, and responding to any correspondence you receive. To contact us regarding a child arrangement order, please call us on 033 3344 9600.

Divorce & Family Law Solicitors Leeds & Yorkshire

Morrish Solicitors are a well-established Law Firm based in West Yorkshire with a national presence. We have a highly experienced team of Divorce and Family Law Solicitors who can advise on a range of family law matters. Our solicitors will provide clear, honest, and professional legal advice to achieve the most practical solution for your circumstances.

We can advise on any family or matrimonial matter including:

Our Family Law Solicitor in Leeds, Noelle Heath is a member of the Resolution for family law, which is a national organisation of family lawyers committed to a non-confrontational approach to divorce, separation and other family problems. We will aim to achieve a practical and cost-effective solution that meets the needs of the family.

If you need legal advice on a family matter, please call us on 033 3344 9600 or simply email [email protected] with your request.

To stay up to date with the latest law-related news, case studies and updates to our services please sign up to our monthly newsletter.