Kuhnel Graphics Ltd, a family-owned printing company based in Ossett, Wakefield has entered administration after a decline in orders due to the pandemic. The firm traded for approximately 50 years before entering administration and making 25 employees redundant.
Former Employees of Kuhnel Graphics Ltd Could Make a Protective Award Claim
If you worked at printing company Kuhnel Graphics Ltd and have lost your job because the company has gone into administration, you could claim up to 90 days’ pay by making a Protective Award Claim.
There is no minimum length of service required to make a Protective Award claim. However, you must meet two conditions:
- You must be at least 1 of 20 employees made redundant at a single workplace, location or establishment.
- Your employer did not inform or consult you properly about your redundancy.
Our expert employment solicitors handle Protective Award claims on a no win, no fee basis. This means you do not need to pay any legal fees unless your claim is successful.
Use our free Eligibility Checker to see if you can make a claim. Alternatively, you can contact our employment team on 033 3344 9603 or email [email protected] to discuss a potential protective award claim.
How do I make a Protective Award claim?
To make a Protective Award claim, simply:
- Contact us. With as much information as you can regarding your redundancy.
- Free consultation. We will gather and review any further evidence we need to support your case. If your case has good prospects, we may be able to act for you and your colleagues on a no win no fee basis.
- Claim submission. Once we have agreed to act, we will submit your claim via ACAS and, if needs be, an Employment Tribunal.
- Settlement. Our solicitors will explore the possibility of a resolution without a full hearing, although this isn’t always possible.
- Tribunal hearing. If it cannot be resolved beforehand, a Tribunal hearing will take place for a decision to be made, at which you will be represented.
- Protective Award. You could be entitled to up to 90 days’ pay (redundancy).
- Compensation Recovery. If the employer is insolvent, from the government’s insolvency service (subject to caps) or in any other case from the employer direct.
Our specialist solicitors will guide you through the entire process. We aim to make the process as simple and stress-free as possible and will handle everything on your behalf.
How much can I hope to get from a Protective Award claim?
The maximum award an Employment Tribunal can make is 90 days’ gross pay but this can be reduced in certain circumstances.
Where the company is insolvent, it is likely that only a proportion of the compensation awarded by the Tribunal will be recovered via the government’s Insolvency Service.
Is there a time limit for making a Protective Award claim?
There is a time limit of 3 months (less one day), within which to pursue this claim in the Employment Tribunal, which is likely to run from the date your employment ended. This is subject to any extension through use of the ACAS Early Conciliation process.
How can Morrish Solicitors help me?
Our experienced employment solicitors are national experts in Protective Award claims. In the past, we have represented:
- Over 1,500 former Thomas Cook employees. We achieved the maximum Protective Award of 90 days’ pay for many of their Head Office workers in London, Manchester and Peterborough (ITV News, BBC News, TSSA)
- 260 former CityLink employees, who were each awarded 90 days’ pay (BBC News, ITV News).
- We’ve also had success in other large Protective Award claims such as Phones4u (Yorkshirelegalnews), Sash Uk Ltd, Turners Fine Foods, Howard Hunt (City) Ltd, 3AAA, Paperlinx, Austin Reed, Maplin, Poundworld and others.
It is always beneficial to have a specialist employment solicitor on your side when making a Protective Award claim. These types of claims are complex and not widely understood, making the chances of a positive outcome much higher when you have an experienced solicitor on your side.
There are several procedural and technical pitfalls that could lead to your claim being rejected. If the claim is defended (for example because of “special circumstances”) or you cannot secure permission to proceed, you could lose altogether.
The process of securing compensation can also be time consuming, often taking up to 18 months or more. We can handle the whole Tribunal and/or Court process for you from start to finish, making sure you have the best chance of winning your case.
If you would like to discuss a protective award claim, please contact us on 033 3344 9603 or simply email [email protected] with your request.