It is estimated that the NHS alone funds 11 million operations each year, and of course many more operations are undertaken privately.
In most cases, patients receive an excellent service, however, there are instances where things go wrong and mistakes are made, sometimes with serious consequences.
Common compensation claims arising from surgery include:
- Operations undertaken without reasonable skill and care;
- Cases involving insufficiently experienced medical staff;
- Negligent damage to internal organs;
- Retained surgical instruments/apparatus;
- Failure to recognise and/or appropriately treat a patient following a development of a complication such as an infection;
- Failure to obtain proper consent for a procedure;
- Inappropriate and/or unnecessary operations;
- Delayed or cancelled operations.
Some examples of our successful surgical claims include:
- An award of £250,000.00 for negligently performed bunion surgery.
- An award of £350,000.00 for major injury to the bile duct during gall bladder removal.
If you feel that you have suffered an illness or injury as a consequence of substandard treatment received during surgery, contact our experienced Medical Negligence team today on 033 3344 9600 or complete our online enquiry form below.